How to Select a Defensive Driving School?
No matter whether you are interested in getting insurance premium discounts or want to remove points from your license, taking up a defensive driving course can help. The name suggests what the course is all about – It makes you a defensive driver and teaches you the ways to prevent crashes, mishaps and accidents to the best possible extent. You will also get a quick recap of the traffic rules of your state and some of the other pertinent points. In around 25 states (may be a couple more), it is possible to compete the defensive driving course online. For that, you need to find a defensive driving school.
Here are the things you must check for finding the right school.
- Is the school reputed? Because all are not. You need to find a course provider who has been in business for at least a decade. Also, they must be fair and transparent with their prices, and while the course duration is not up to them, they should offer the shortest duration course, as permissible by the state.
- Check the course duration and contents. The course durations vary from state to state. For example, if you are in Texas, the course duration is around 8 hours. You also need to check the overall contents of the course, which ideally includes a lot of things, right from crash dynamics to the impact of psychological factors on driving.
- Check if you can complete the course online. If a course is meant to be online, it should be 100% online. It is important to see if you are getting the right kind of assistance from the course provider or concerned school, and whether they have a team of experts to check all the relevant complaints and queries.
- When you join a defensive driving school, you would expect to have complete liberty of completing the course at your own pace. The materials must be accessible from all devices, and you must be able to continue from a point where you left off the last time. Check if the course materials are accessible on smaller devices like tablets and smartphones.
- Talk to the course provider about getting the Certificate of Completion, which might be sent via mail in some cases, if the state laws don’t permit a downloadable format. If the certificate can be downloaded, it must be available on the same day or the next working day.
Search your options now!